Sunday, September 14, 2008

Intro to our little miss pretty Ava Marie









Well, I have to say we have been quite inspired by the amazing families we met this weekend in Boston. Ava was the youngest this year. It was very reassuring to see the other kids playing and being so expressive. I really haven't known what to expect. I'll start with some history on our miss pretty, Ava.



I remember the first time I felt my heart sink very well. I was spending time with my 18 month old, Drake, while daddy was at school. The phone rings it's my prenatal Doctor. I look at the clock and its 5:15, "why would he be calling after hours." He asks how my back has been, fine i tell him, but there is no way that's why he's calling. He goes on to say we need some additional ultrasounds there is concern about extra fluid in the brain. I didn't here much after that. I hang up thinking, WOW what the hell does that mean. This was the first of many of these calls.


Other moments I'll always remember like driving to the "big" hospital. Everything felt so surreal like I knew the rest of my life from that moment on was going to be different. Then there was signing the waiver for the fetal MRI, the paper explained how this was an uncommon procedure and they weren't really sure the risk so please sign here so we're not responsible. Also, being told repeatedly everything will be fine but feeling like they really didn't know that.



Finally, Ava arrives on her due date Nov.1 2007. She is beautiful but were did she get those ears. A few hours later the doctor comes to check her out. She takes her from ggma, lays her on the bed, and unwraps a baby that is blue from the neck down. She tries not to look afraid/worried as she quickly wraps her up, explains she needs to take her down the hall, and someone will come get me soon. I'm in shock I think for the next five days. I don't have time for emotion or pain. I just want my little girl to be okay. I just want to go home. They chalk it up to fluid getting in her lungs at delivery. After a bout of jaundice and some light therapy we were are discharged.
































































































No comments: